In thinking about.....

I'm just a girl, searching for where God wants me next, but living constanly in the present, reflecting on the past enough to see hope for the future.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

ahh.. "the city"

Today i got up and went to Sioux Falls for a dr.s appointment, all looks good. But what followed that was even better.
I dropped my mum off with her fiance and then headed down town on the way i stopped at the health food store, picked up cous-cous and dried friut (no perservatives, so i can eat it with out problems). Then to the bread store next door to pick up my favourite breakfest, a cinnamon scone.
THen the down town called my name, "Rachel, Rachel, Rachel...." So i followed that call, how could i not. I wandered down the road the wrong way, then the right way and found myself giving up on driving and parking, hopeing i was in the right place. So i got out of the car and started walking, the sun was beating down on my hair covered sholders and i could see dark clouds looming in the distance. The sky got dark, the wind blew, i got cold and found my self in a bead shop. Where thousands of beads met my gaze, blue ones, pink ones, black, red, white, long, fat, skinny, short, decorated, indian, african, all sorts each on with a different price. I love beads and decided to make my sister a necklace and that was an adventure in and of itself. Then i looked out side the drops poured like magic on the sidewalk, i knew i could not dodge them. So i stayed in the spring warmth of the bead store. As the rain passed i ran across to a coffee shop across the street. I had not been there before and in hopes of having coffee again later i ordered a small cup of tea. Now, small apperantly is relative to this lady becuase she gave me a large cup and a french press with loose leaf tea in it and insructed me to press it down in about five minutes. This french press yeiled me three cups of delicious tea. BUt i was to full from lunch to drink it all so i brought it up to her, she gave me a take home cup.
After this tea experiance i decided to fill up the meter and wander in and out of as many shops as i could in an hour. there are some delightful little shops, shoe shops, coffee shops, cafes, books stores, and a whole store devoted to the irish. THis was an intresting store. One of my favoriet things about small stores in small downtowns is that people are lonely and bored in there and they want to have a chat, which i am always open for. So i began to have a chat with the man (55) in the irish shop and he told me a fairy tale about witches dodging rain drops, told me i was beautiful and i fled. Well, just goes to show it is wiser to talk with the shop owners of the female variety. Needless to say my meter was up so i left the down town. now the sun was shinning again and having bought two new childrens books i headed to starbucks to get a mocha and read my books out side. Now i am going to make pasta and wrinkly mushrooms in a butter for dinner. Hmm, i just love being in little shops and talking to shop owners, it takes me back to the days of the Bitch and Stich knitting store and that delightful couple....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home