In thinking about.....

I'm just a girl, searching for where God wants me next, but living constanly in the present, reflecting on the past enough to see hope for the future.

Friday, September 11, 2009

Glorious gobbling Guinea pigs!

Despite the insane paint job in my classroom, i have redeamed it with some fabric and some posters. Scince that point in getting the classroom ready, i aquirred three guinea pigs.
Some of you might be asking, 3?! how did you get so many!
Well, that is simple. A lady had three guinea pigs, they all needed a home... i volenteered!

Ok, so days with the guinea pigs included feeding all three of them, watching them romp in the paper shreds lining thier cages, watering them, and then teaching my studnets how to pick up and play with guinea pigs.

important side note: All of my studnets are sick exept for one with head/lung colds.

All was going just fine until last week Wednesday when i realized that one of my flock was lethargic. After trying to get her to eat fruit I realized she was not eating much either. By Friday I was doing a close inspection. After letting my studnets play with her, i set her on my lap and realized that her nose was running like crazy! So I put her back in the cage.
On Saturday morning I went to check on the guinea pigs and realized that this particualr rodent had died. (there is no poetic way to say that when you see a hard cold little friend on the bottom of their cage)

Well on Tuesday I told my students of the death and they were very sad, in fact they did not cry at school, but many suffered through more tears at home.

On Wednesday I realized that the male guinea pig is seeming lethargic, but the good news is he is still eating and drinking and does not have a runny nose. i think i will take them home for the weekend so that they can warm up and perhaps gain a little bit of health before coming back to school.

Oh, and the remaining femail guinea pig is doing just fine and eats like crazy! In fact in the last two weeks she has gained a considerable amount of weight. Even though I did not feed her as much this week she has stayed the same weight, which leaves me with one question. is she pregnant?

My studnets feel that she could be pregntant becuse the they accidedntly let the male guinea pig sniff her. I reassure them that could very well be possible. (I am trying to maintain innocence here).

If any one out there knows about guinea pigs, i would very much apperciate some advice on this situation.

My mum's husband beleives the guinea pigs could have the swine flue!:) maybe....

2 Comments:

  • At 8:53 AM , Blogger Andrea said...

    Oh, your animal adventures! :) How is school going (besides the guinea pig saga)?

     
  • At 4:46 PM , Blogger Josh said...

    so...any word on whether Gretel (your guinea pig) is pregnant or not???? :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home