In thinking about.....

I'm just a girl, searching for where God wants me next, but living constanly in the present, reflecting on the past enough to see hope for the future.

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Freedom verses Fear.

Throughout the day today I have begun to wonder about this country and the amount of fear that seems to grip the hearts and lives of people here. Why not, I mean we could be afraid of terrorists, wall streets constant drops, cancer, cancer causing products working their way into our lives and the lives of our families, schools not fulfilling the "duties" we think they should, teachers being human (not perfect) and institutions failing us. And that is only inside of our country. The very thought of world hunger, aids, epidemics, children who are dying because the lack clean drinking water, women being tormented for religious reasons, among countless other things should strike a fear deep down inside of us.
But what about that quote: "the only thing to fear is fear itself" I think that is becoming more and more true every day in our culture and society.
This morning on the news I heard a family talking about how they had planned on suing the school because their son committed suicide after being bullied. I am sorry if that strikes a cord of fear in you, but honestly what do parents think the school should have done? We can only be in control of our own actions and we can not control the actions of others. So then why should we find someone to blame when our child/spouse/sister/brother/family did something we do not approve of or even hurts us?
What is going to happen to our nation if this fear runs rampant and this deep desire to have someone to blame increases?
My current job is in education, and i know that people need to have rules, guidelines, and general accountability, however when does that accountability allow you to have the freedom to not be ruled under the fear of being blamed? For example, in order to get my Iowa teaching licence i have to teach in an accredited school (with the state of Iowa) be it public or private for 3 years. Then i can get my full licence. Well christian schools are afraid of being accredited because they will be overrun by the state rules leaving no room for Christ to be taught. Meanwhile, teachers that wish to maintain their licence must somehow work under these rules. It seems to me that when you are in a profession you enjoy you ought to be able to do it without jumping through thousands of hoops.
So back to fear, every time somebody becomes afraid and blames another person for the outcome of events that person is forced to re-examine the way they live and how they respond to situations. That doesn't seem terribly problematic. But what if every person feels the need to blame a school for something that they don't like and in return the school's policy gets stricter and stricter? The stricter the school is the worse education the students are receiving. Just think of 10 years ago when you might have been able to teach in a school and teach fun and exciting things to your class, but now with all the rules and regulations (that have been set in because of fear--of failure, not measuring up, etc) as a teacher you are stuck. You have very little freedom to teach in a way that students will respond to.
I have to admit i am so tired of the teaching profession i just want to quit. But to quit teaching, which is my life, brings me to tears. Why is it that a pretty good teacher can't even maintain professional status by simply doing what she loves? I love to teach, i love to see what new ways i can make material jump out to my students. But i don't seem to be able to get a job.
In America today that popular song should not say: "let freedom ring" but instead should say: "we let fear rule our lives" as fear seems to continually grip our lives.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:41 PM , Blogger Andrea said...

    Wow. Well written. I have seen what jumping through hoops does to teachers, and in my opinion, it limits their abilities to teach. I have dreaded getting my WA license for that exact reason. There are so many little things that need to be taken care of, so many "standards" that need to be met, but how much of it is really going to positively impact your career? My thoughts are with you. We ate lunch with Josh today...I hear you recruited the boys to make a soundtrack for our book. :) Hooray!

     
  • At 1:02 PM , Blogger Josh said...

    I have to agree with Andrea. That was well-worded. I was going to write something to help "fix" your frustrations. but then I remembered that sometimes it's better not to try and fix everything. so i'll just agree with you. :) it is frustrating with all the hoops that everyone has to jump through to make sure that the kids we're helping will actually be taught well. fear does seem to be a huge part...like a weight on your shoulders that doesn't allow you to do your job. i see it with working with my boys, too. I guess the thing it reminds me of is how much we have to rely on Christ (daily!) for wisdom in how to handle situations and opening doors where they need to be opened. and not giving up. that's important too. I'm leaving now for Iowa City...have a good passover supper!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home